Security tips based on what burglars dislike.
These are some of things that burglars really dislike. Various former burglars offer have the following tips:
- Alarm bell boxes/signs are the biggest deterrent.
- Don’t make it easy for me. Have lots of deadbolts, active alarms, motion lights, dogs, etc.
- Don’t appear as a target. (full letter box, obstructed view of the house from streets).
- Cameras – inside and out. I knew a guy who was caught because he walked by someone’s webcam inside their house and ended up on the news. Make the cameras visible. If I see a camera, I’m not just moving on to the next house, but I’m going several streets away.
- Restrict access to the rear and lock the gate. That’s generally where I broke into the house from.
- Try not to have any stools, wheelie bins etc. in the garden. They make climbing through windows easier.
- Don’t post your entire social life publicly on social media. The people scouting out robberies aren’t always across the street in a dodgy van. They’re just following you on facebook, twitter, google+, foursquare and instagram. Having a meal out is more than enough time for me to be in and out.
- Certain taxi drivers are in cahoots with burglars, and let them know when a house is empty for most of the night because the students are out clubbing. Get the taxi to pick you up near your home, not at it.
- If you’re in an apartment – do whatever you can to add more locks (if possible according to your lease) , alarm system, cameras, etc. – lots of shady maintenance men and landlords out there.
- Lock your patio door, even if you live on the 10th floor. Scaling the sides of most buildings is actually pretty damned easy.
- If I do get in your house, don’t keep small valuables all about. I often did all my work of foot, and stole money, jewellery, small electronics, etc. Have a safe basically.
- Get a dog that doesn’t like strangers. I don’t care if it’s big or small or threatening or friendly… as soon as one dog barks, all the dogs in an area start barking and announcing a burglar’s presence.